Disney has sent us a copy of Star Wars: Rebels Season 3 on Blu-ray to review, which will be available to purchase on Blu-ray and DVD on August 29th (this Tuesday) at most major retailers.
As our previous reviews, we are going to focus on the Blu-ray Disc set and not review each individual episode storyline of Star Wars: Rebels Season 3. I will be watching this on a 150” screen via a Sony VPL-VW365ES 4K Projector and I am using a Sony UBP-X800 Ultra HD Player to play these Discs. As for the audio I will be using a Denon AVR-X6300H Receiver configured with a 11.2 speaker setup.
Video / Picture Detail:
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
Even though my Ultra HD 4K player would upscale this Disc from 1080P to 4K, I opted to use the native resolution of 1080P for this review.
But I would like to mention that Disney just recently made the jump to Ultra HD 4K with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, so hopefully in the future all Disney Home releases will be available in Ultra HD 4K. Anyways I watched a few episodes from each disc for this review and as alway the CG animation looked amazing on the screen. The colors were very bold and vibrant and just popped off the screen. Black levels looked great and I didn’t see any artifacts or blurring which is always a plus. The fine textures and details the animators used in the environments, characters, vehicles and etc looked awesome as well. The Blu-ray transfer looked so much better then the HD TV Broadcasts on Disney XD, due to it being less compressed for bandwidth. I definitely plan on watching the entire Season over again on Blu-ray.
Audio / Sound:
English: Dolby Digital 5.1
French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
I know most TV shows are only presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, but come on this is Star Wars! We would like the Home Releases to include Dolby TrueHD and or Dolby Atmos. My receiver can convert the Dolby Digital 5.1 to other sound modes, but to keep the review true, I stuck to Dolby Digital 5.1. In the Dolby Digital 5.1 environment the Character’s dialogue was very pronounced and well balanced with the sound effects and music. The surround sound was used fairly well and the laser blaster and explosions made me feel like I was right there in the middle of the action.
Blu-ray Set Contents:
Disc 1: Episodes 1 - 8 and Bonus Features
Disc 2: Episodes 9 - 16 and Bonus Features
Disc 3: Episodes 17 - 22 and Bonus Features
Total Episode Running Time: 485 Minutes (not including Bonus Material)
As most Blu-rays these days, The Star Wars Rebels: Season 3 (Blu-ray) Set comes packaged in a typical double sided Blu-ray case and includes a cardboard Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Slipcover. There are 3 discs included in this set. There was 1 disc placed on left post and 2 discs stacked together on the right post, inside the case. What I found odd was there was no advertisement for Disney’s Movie Rewards or Disney’s Movie Club packed with this set.
Blu-ray Exclusive Bonus Content:
• Return To Mandalore Explore where Mandalore fits within the Empire’s regime – and whether Sabine can unite her people against the Imperial forces.
• Thrawn: A Legend Reborn Learn Thrawn’s significance in Star Wars lore, and what the future may hold for this memorable villain.
• Apprentices to Outcasts: Kenobi And Maul Track two adversaries who’ve clashed throughout Star Wars history, and find out why the time was right to conclude their story.
• The Original Rebel: Saw Gerrera Returns – Extended Meet the Original Rebel. This exclusive extended version features Forest Whitaker discussing the character he brings to life in both Rebels and Rogue One.
• Five Audio Commentaries Featuring Dave Filoni (Executive Producer), Justin Ridge (Supervising Director), Kilian Plunkett (Art Director), Keith Kellogg (Animation Supervisor) and Joel Aron (CG Supervisor: Lighting & FX)
Blu-ray and DVD Bonus Content :
• A Rebel Alliance Discover how the formation of the Rebel Alliance in Rebels ties into the Rogue One timeline – and the exciting story possibilities that lie ahead for season 4.
• Rebels Recon Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew in 19 entertaining and information-packed episode recaps!
Star Wars Rebels was created by Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Simon Kinberg (“X-Men: Days of Future Past”), and Carrie Beck. The Lucasfilm Animation production is also executive-produced by Filoni and Kinberg.
A big thanks to Disney for sending us a copy to review.